Pages

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

It's Beginning to Look a lot Like Christmas!

I absolutely love this time of year! The decorations, the music, the cheerfulness! We love visiting with family and celebrating the reason for the season most of all. I can't wait until Jackson is a little older so we can share with him the Christmas story. For now, we just let him enjoy the lights, tree, and ornaments. He did get a picture taken with Santa and he loves chewing on the nativity figures (so we moved it to the mantle). We've been busy traveling, making some Christmas crafts, and making treats for parties. We leave Friday for TN for a week and will be spending Christmas with the Sunday side of the family this year. Below are a few pictures of our Christmas festivities so far. We will have another update or two after our trip.




To kick off the holiday, I was invited to a cookie exchange at my friend Tracy's house. It was a fun party - she had it set up as a tea for the guests. We had finger sandwiches, fruit, scones, tea, and exchanged our cookies. We also had an apron exchange and a friendly competition to judge the most creative/best cookie packages. I went home with several delicious cookies and an adorable apron! Above are apricot and fig jam cookies. I packaged them in zip lock bags and used a free printable I found online to staple over the top.


It's been a couple months since I got crafty, so as we started to set up a few of our Christmas decorations I decided to revamp one of my previous craft projects. These Christmas tree cones were all glittery before like the red one in the center. They make a big mess every year and I was over the shine. I wrapped them with burlap ribbon and decorated them with additional ribbon and buttons. I still plan to redo the red one in the center but left it for this year. 


I also made a new card display out of burlap ribbon, decorative ribbon, and mini clothes pins. I was really happy with how this turned out. It was even cuter when full of cards - sorry I don't have a picture of that. I also hung additional cards on the photo frame display I made for Jackson's birthday. Basically it is a frame with strands of ribbon hanging across it. I then used mini clothes pins again to hang the cards from the ribbons (check out his bday post for pics). 


My next project served as gifts for the Kiser family (Mike's mom's side) Christmas. I made peppermint brownies in a jar and printed out this adorable labels and decorated with some ribbon. You can find the recipe and printables from here.



Unfortunately I did not take many pictures from Christmas with the Modlin's on my cell phone. We may have more pictures on our camera, but I cannot upload those at this time (read below). Here are two pictures of Jackson opening a very soft, fuzzy blanket from his great aunt and uncle, Becky and Brad. He just loved it - you can tell by how fuzzy the pictures are. He kept rubbing it against his face and shrieking! It was too cute. 


While we were in Chapel Hill celebrating Christmas with the Modlins, they offered to watch Jackson and let us use their basketball tickets for the UNC/KY game. This was a huge win for the heels and Mike and I had a lot of fun attending. 



And before heading west for Christmas, I took Jackson to have his picture taken with Santa. He did a great job! I really expected crying and him trying to climb off Santa's lap. We did not get a smile - just the deer in the head lights look, but at least he wasn't scared! It will be interested to see how he does next year...

Okay, and now a little disclaimer about this post - I actually wrote it before we ever even left for TN and was just too lazy to upload pics at the time. I thought I would blog while were were gone and didn't. Things have been pretty hectic around here since we got back. We immediately had company, then a little sickness hit our house, more company, a surprise birthday party, and now I'm playing catch up as we get ready to travel for the weekend. PLUS, I am still experiencing some pregnancy sickness and am tired ALL of the time. I do what I need to to ensure that Jackson is happy and taken care of, and then all extras (like this blog) get put on the back burner. I am going to do my best to catch up in the next week and hope to do a better job keeping up with it. No promises though because we have a busy couple of months coming up. :)

And I apologize in advance because we left our nice camera in TN, so any photos from the holidays will not be posted for at least another month.

Posts to look forward to:

Christmas in TN
Gender Reveal
Mike's Surprise 30th
Jackson Update
Pregnancy Update
Trip to Arlington

I will get to these all slowly, but surely. Love to all! 








No comments:

Post a Comment